Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Births, hailstones and mad cows.



All things pretty tame in Pokhara. Beautiful setting alongside a lake with cracking views of the Annapurna range of mountains take a day to settle in and embark upon my first ride out.

Head up to Sagarkot for a short blap out about 800 metre height gain on tarmac road to a small settlement perched high above the lake. Follow past village for a few Km to sight a track to descend back to lake to discover a heavily pregnant Nepali lady lied flat out on the side of the track shaded by an umbrella held by another women. The umbrella lady called out for me to get a taxi so I bombed back down the track to the village to try to avail one. Village shopkeeper said he would phone for taxi but seemed unwilling to ring for one unless I would promise to pay the fare which obviously I had to accept. Wait around for about 30 minutes in gathering clouds waiting for the taxi before news comes in the form of a motorbike rider that the lady has given birth on the side of the track. Unsure if the taxi is still required I sprint back up the 2 k climb to find the lady wandering back up the hill clutching the child with the umbrella women and a man for company. The man; on sighting me called out "Sorry Taxi cancel" as if he had decided to stay in the pub for an extra pint. Returned back down to the village, paid the bemused Taxi driver his fare before heading down the closest trail I could find that would lead be out of the gathering strom.
Hail stones the size of Yaks bolloxs ping of my widened eyeballs as I descend a super tricky trail full of greasy steps and rocks back down to the lake. Lightening and thunder ensue which cause havoc amongst the local buffalo and cow population causing a charge with one particular cow eying me up as the cause of the noise and deciding to trample me to death. Abandon bike mid trail and cower trembling behind a giant tree whilst the cow repeatedly rushes at the tree with its horns down, stamping and mooing in a terrifying manner. Thankfully rescued by a shepherd who shoos the beast away.



2 comments:

simon_lill said...

superb stuff

Kamel said...

Funny that because EXACTLY the same thing happened to me the other day in Canary Wharf.