Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Great Samthar Plateau

4 days without a beer and it is showing. 5.30 a.m starts full of life, endless energy and enthusiasm for all things, vow to hit the syrupy Kingfishers as soon as I return from the wilderness no use feeling this good. Embark upon the 40 km return trip to the "Great Samthar Plateau" locals guide me out in the early morning light and onto the narrow trail that traverses the mountains with views of the snow capped Himalaya occasionally filtering through the ancient dense forest. Brilliant trail but again no use for mountain biking so break off the trail at Charcoal (ridiculous names continue) and head on to the main forest jeep trail which I run and walk until I reach the Samthar. No visible signs of any plateau at all with the flattest bit of land up here a tiny cricket pitch, locals bemused my my requests for directions to the plateau. An English speaking man is found who clears the confusion with an unambiguous "there is nothing to see here tourists will not come". Polish of my lunch and but refuse to drink atrocious heavily salted and peppered tea which is undrinkable but a apparently a speciality in these parts. Jog most of the 20 km back through thick forest and even thicker mist very atmospheric with jungely noises and see only one group of people on the 3 hours it takes it me to return.

No comments: