Friday, May 18, 2007

Kalimpong

No time to waste as I have only 4 weeks left to find some more decent trails up here in the North East of India ready for the hoped arrival of a big group of Singaporeans in November. Enroll big brother;" you only ring when you want something" in sending me out a new rotor. Pack up me running shoes and take jeep to Kalimpong the gateway to the remote villages of Lava and Kaffer and the fabled Grand Samthar Plateau where it is hoped there are some superb trails for mountain biking which I will have to run and walk first to test them out till the bike is fixed up.
Jeep journey enlivened bu ex Gurka who laments the reduction of the Gurkha battallions from seven to one at present. Reckons that the British always favoured Gurkha recruits from Darjeeling but for Darjeeling based ethnic Nepali's they had to prove they were Nepali citizens not Indian before they let them in. Reckons there was a lot of dubious paper work doing the rounds then. Explains that war is a terrible thing and prepare myself for some terrible tales of death and destruction. The man winks and says he got out before the Falklands and he only ever worked in a clerical post. Anyhow the man is well respected in Kalimpong and many salute and greet him as we walk through the streets. Seems very keen for me to me visit Bangkok on my travels and implores me to go as soon as possible "there for 100$ you can enjoy all day and night" reckons it is much better than Bhutan "nothing to see". Advice accepted.
Evening ales in rajesque Aroma bar faded charms and appear to be the only customer, polish of three ales as the Bihari owner brings out old photoes of his Grandad and Lady Mountbatten.

No comments: